Thursday, January 28, 2010

I Think That You Should Hear This Vol. 3

Well, I made it back to the land of sunshine, fish tacos, Randy Newman and Dennis Wilson. Los Angeles is alive and well and I've been having a really great first week. Last night, Melissa and my sister and I met up with old friends at Real Food Daily and spent a couple of hours laughing, talking about movies and music while eating amazing vegan cuisine. Perez Hilton was sitting right next to us on a date with some mysterious dude. I was happy that my sister got to see at least one celebrity before she returns home to Texas. Plus, I was pretty excited since I read his stupid blog everyday.

Also, my sister and I went shopping today and I found a LEVI'S jean jacket that I've been trying to find for several years, in a vintage shop on Melrose. I'm so happy. Its a 1940's 506XX. Super rad. Takes one back to a time when America was making quality denim. Speaking of history, why don't I post a new compilation of great tunes of the past. I Think That You Should Hear This Vol. 3 is ready!!!

As always, I won't go thru every song, but I'll point out a few highlights and encourage you to go out and by the albums these songs are on. Chances are if I'm posting them here, its because the artists are awesome and make good records. Obviously good, since most songs here are "deep tracks".

Dennis Wilson opens it up with a track from his Bambu record. Totally awesome drunk- sex-rock.

Track 3 is from a super rare recording by the band The Gousters. The band is fronted by a 60+ Vietnam vet, Walt Cronin and punk rock legend, Zander Schloss. I was fortunate enough to be involved in the making of this record. I sing lead on one song and harmonies and keyboards on a whole bunch of other tunes. Recorded in L.A. 2002-2003 and featuring a whole bunch of punk and folk players around LA, it was finally released on a small label in 2006. I don't think its in print anymore, but try to find a copy. It is one of the greatest records ever made. This song, "Only Eighteen" is about Walt's experience in 'Nam.

"Cold Heart Of Stone" Is from Frank Black and the Catholics' brilliant record, Black Letter Days. The whole album is so amazing that its hard to chose one song. This isn't even the best track, but I love this song. Very relatable. The whole album was recorded live in the studio to two-track tape. No overdubs. Just brilliant songs and players maiking it one of the greatest rock record records of the last decade.

Bonnie "Prince" Billy is one of the greats and "West Palm Beach" comes from his super nashville record, Greatest Palace Music. Following is one of my favorite hits of the 70's, Elvin Bishop's "Fooled Around and Fell In Love". We all need some super 70s in our life.

I'm really into this Compton and Batteau record that I bought in Maine a couple of summers ago. "Laughter Turns To Blue" has this Lou Reed feeling that I really like. Check it out!


Miranda Lee Richards is a modern voice in the vain of 70s goddesses such as Linda Ronstadt. I LOVE THIS SONG. From her album, Light of X.

"Ocean" is a Velvet Underground tune from the Loaded sessions. Its like Air or Spaceman 3 from 40 years ago.

"Got a Feelin'" is from Denny Doherty's debut solo record, Whatcha Gonna Do?. Its his take on his band's(the pedo-classic, the Mamas and Papas)fine tune.

"I Hate You" a great tune from the classic Dan Penn record, Nobody's Fool. Made semi-famous by Bobby "Blue" Bland, Dan's is my favorite version.

The last few are all super tunes that you need to hear.

I hope you enjoy. Please leave me a comment and tell me what you think.



I Think That You Should Hear This Vol. 3

1-Time For Bed - Dennis Wilson Various Artists
2-You're Not Livin' At All - John Corneal
3-Only Eighteen - The Gousters
4-Cold Heart of Stone - Frank Black and the Catholics
5-West Palm Beach - Bonnie "Prince" Billy
6-Fooled Around And Fell In Love - Elvin Bishop
7-Laughter Turns To Blue - Compton & Batteau
8-Breathless - Miranda Lee Richards
9-Ocean - The Velvet Underground
10-Gone Dead Train - Randy Newman
11-Got A Feelin' - Danny Doherty
12-I Don't Know Why - The Rolling Stones
13-I Hate You - Dan Penn
14-Last Call - Elliott Smith
15-Feathers - Appaloosa
16-Standing in the Doorway - Bob Dylan
17-Crawling Back To You - Tom Petty



1 comment:

  1. Ayyyy Will,
    Thank you for another amazing mix. Volume one was on repeat for the last month. Ghost of a Chance by Ron Sexsmith is one of my new favorites. Also, No Signs of Age is just perfect. PERFECT.
    I just downloaded 2 and 3. Duchess is so beautiful. Jessica shared that song with me 2 summers ago... just around the time we all enjoyed that late afternoon Lake Michigan swim.
    Totally agree with you about Black Letter Days. Every song is my favorite. I look forward to spending time with 2 and 3.
    Enjoy your time in LA. Hope you find more awesome denim.
    xo

    ReplyDelete